Friday, May 20, 2011

birthday bash #1

When it comes to birthdays my inner 11 year old completely takes over.  I am not too keen on my own birthday but adore surprising people, making cakes, decorating and going all out.  For E's birthday this year, I couldn't decided whether to cook at home, and have a quiet night in or to go out...so I am doing both.  Last night, was the pre-birthday bash.




I made a grilled marinated flank steak (using this recipe from Simply Recipes and used 1/2 cup of sugar instead of the 1/4 cup of honey) and a summer salad (which consists of anything I have in the fridge/that is in season).


Last night's summer salad 

  • 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed
  • cilantro
  • 2 ears of corn (cook and removed from cob)
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes
  • 1 carrot
  • roasted beets from trader joe's 
  • good quality feta (*if you use a good quality feta it is enough flavour that you don't need a dressing)
I also made a tiramisu.  I followed this recipe on The Pioneer Woman's blog.  I love her photography and step by step instruction which helped me feel confident my zabaglione wasn't a complete flop.  Stay tuned for birthday #2.  


No comments:

Post a Comment